Colonel Scott A. Dickson is Vice Commander, 96th Test Wing, Air Force Materiel Command, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida. He leads more than 9,800 military, civilian, and contractor personnel, in accomplishing the 96th Test Wing’s missions of developmental testing and evaluation of conventional munitions, command and control systems, aircraft avionics and guidance systems, and radar cross section measurement. The 96th Test Wing has eight groups and 32 squadrons, operates 38 uniquely modified test aircraft, and manages 120,000 square miles of over-water test ranges plus facilities in six states. He also directs all base operating support, infrastructure, and services support for the Air Force’s largest installation at 724 square miles. The 96th Test Wing hosts seven tenant wings and wing equivalent units—to include the 33d Fighter Wing (F-35 Joint Strike Fighter), U.S. Army 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), Joint Explosive Ordnance Disposal Training Center—and 37 other associate units including the U.S. Army 6th Ranger Training Battalion and the 20th Space Control Squadron. As vice commander, he interacts with local officials across a three- county, 11-city region with an annual military economic impact of $2.7 billion.
Colonel Dickson is a Command Experimental Test Pilot with over 3500 hours in 23 different airframes including the KC-135, C-17, C-130J, C-130E/H, F-16A/B, F-15B/E and MC-130E aircraft.
He proudly participated in Operations SOUTHERN WATCH, NORTHERN WATCH, ALLIED FORCE, PROVIDE COMFORT, ENDURING FREEDOM, NOBLE EAGLE, ANACONDA, and NEW DAWN accumulating 200 combat hours and 252 combat support hours in parts of Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Pakistan, Bahrain, Kuwait, Germany, Panama, and Europe.
1993 Bachelor’s degree in computer science, University of Colorado, Denver, Colo.
1998 Master’s degree in software engineering, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2015 Master’s degree in national security studies, Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Fort McNair, D.C.
1. March 1994 – 14 March 1995, Student, UPT, Reese AFB, Texas
2. March 1995 – 7 June 1995, Scheduler, Reese AFB, Texas
3. June 1995 – 14 September 1997, Executive Officer, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
4. September 1997 – August 1999, Flight Scheduler, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
5. August 1999 – 27 July 2000, Training Flight Instructor, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
6. July 2000 – 31 July 2001, RSAF Instructor Pilot, McConnell AFB, Kansas
7. August 2001 – 31 March 2002, Senior RSAF Advisor, McConnell AFB, Kansas
8. April 2002 – 10 June 2003, Evaluator Pilot, KC-135, McConnell AFB, Kansas
9. June 2003 – 11 June 2004, Student, Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
10. June 2004 – December 2005, C-130 Multi-engine Test Pilot, Edwards AFB, Calif.
11. January 2005 – July 2006, 418th Assistant Director of Operations, Edwards AFB, Calif.
12. July 2006 – June 2007, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. June 2007 – November 2008, AMC TES Chief Test Pilot, McGuire AFB, N.J.
14. November 2008 – July 2009, AMC TES Director of Operations, McGuire AFB, N.J.
15. Jul 2009 – July 2010, 418 FLTS Director of Operations, Edwards AFB, Calif.
16. July 2010 – 30 Jul 2012, Commander, AMC TES, McGuire AFB, N.J.
17. July 2012 – August 2014, KC-46 Director, Development and Production, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
18. Aug 2014 – June 2015, Student, Eisenhower School, National Defense University
19. June 2015 – August 2017, Director, Air Force Programs, Defense Security Cooperation Agency
20. August 2017 – Present, Vice Commander, 96th Test Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Meritorious Service Medal
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant, Sept. 9, 1993
First Lieutenant, Sept 9, 1995
Captain, Sept 9, 1997
Major, Feb. 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel, Feb. 1 2009
Colonel, May 1, 2015
(Current as of October 2017)