Brig. Gen. Evan C. Dertien is the Commander, 96th Test Wing, Air Force Materiel Command, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida. He leads more than 9,800 military, civilian and contractor personnel in accomplishing the test wing's missions of developmental testing and evaluation of conventional munitions, command and control systems, aircraft avionics and guidance systems and radar cross section measurement. He is also responsible for providing all base operating support, infrastructure and services support for the Air Force's largest installation (724 square miles). He commands eight groups and 32 squadrons. The test wing operates 38 modified test aircraft and manages 120,000 square miles of over-water test ranges, plus facilities in six different states. The 96th Test Wing also supports seven tenant wings and wing equivalent units to include the 33rd Fighter Wing (F-35 Joint Strike Fighter), the Army's 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), Joint Explosive Ordnance Disposal Training Center and 37 other associate units including the Army's 6th Ranger Training Battalion and the Air Force's 20th Space Control Squadron. As commander, he interacts with local officials across a three-county, 11 city region with a military economic impact of $2.7 billion annually.
General Dertien received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in June 1993. After attending Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, he served as an operational F-15 pilot and completed three combat deployments. He then served as an F-15 RTU instructor pilot and was selected to attend USAF Test Pilot School.
After graduating from USAF TPS, he worked as an F-15, F-16 and F-22 test pilot in various assignments. He was also assigned as an initial cadre instructor pilot for the first operational F-22 unit at Langley AFB, Virginia. General Dertien served as a Flight Test Squadron Commander, Vice Wing Commander, Test Wing Commander and Vice Center Commander.
General Dertien is a command pilot with over 3,000 flying hours in a variety of aircraft.
1993 Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, U.S.Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1995 Distinguished graduate, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
1999 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Dinstiguished graduate, USAF Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2005 Master of Aeronautical Sciences, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2006 Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, IDE Fellowship, Arlington, Va.
2011 Masters degree in national resource strategy, Eisenhower School, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. November 1993 - December 1994, student pilot, 80th Flying Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. June 1995 - December 1995, F-15 upgrade training, 1st Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
3. December 1995 - June 1998, F-15 pilot, 390th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
4. June 1998 - June 2001, F-15 instructor pilot, 95th Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
5. June 2001 - June 2002, Student, USAF Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
6. June 2002 - August 2003, F-16/F-15 test pilot, 40th Flight Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
7. August 2003 - June 2005, F-22 test pilot, 411th Flight Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
8. June 2005 - July 2006, F-22 instructor/flight examiner, 27th Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
9. July 2006 - June 2007, DARPA Fellowship IDE, Arlington, Va.
10. June 2007 - June 2008, Ops Officer, F-22 Combined Test Force, Edwards AFB, Calif.
11. July 2008 - June 2010, Commander, 40th Flight Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
12. July 2010 - June 2011, student, Eisenhower School, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2011 - March 2012, assignment data masked
14. March 2012 - July 2012, Commander, 412th Test Wing, Edwards AFB, Calif.
15. July 2012 - July 2013, assignment data masked
16. July 2013 - February 2014, Vice Commander, Air Force Test Center, Edwards AFB, Calif.
17. February 2014 – June 2016, Commander, assignment data masked
18. July 2016 – May 2017, Vice Commander, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
19. May 2017 – Present, Wing Commander, 96thTest Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 3,000; combat hours: more than 180
Aircraft flown: F-15, F-22, F-16 and 25 other aircraft
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1993
First Lieutenant June 2, 1995
Captain June 2, 1997
Major Aug. 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2007
Colonel Sept. 1, 2011
Brigadier General Frocked
(Current as of October 2017)