Published February 02, 2021
The Joint Staff (JS) J6 Joint Assessment Division analyzes current and future warfighter systems and procedures in field conditions to address Joint integration and interoperability issues to improve combat effectiveness and reduce fratricide and collateral damage.
JAD provides a robust deployable capability to analyze current and emergent systems, supporting architectures, and procedures to restore Joint readiness and improve Joint warfighting capabilities.
JAD's mission includes:
• Objectively measuring performance to establish and validate Joint Command and Control, fires, and intelligence-related systems capabilities and limitations
• Identifying Joint and coalition shortfalls and associated root causes
• Recommending Joint warfighter improvements and potential solutions
• Providing Joint warfighter recommendations, solutions, and best practices in reports and briefings, as well as Multi-Service Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures publications; and other doctrine, bulletins, and handbooks in collaboration with Service Centers for Lessons Learned and Centers of Excellence.
JAD's core strengths include:
• Operational expertise: Uniformed members from all Services provide subject matter expertise on current operational procedures; best practices; and Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures across all mission areas. Civilians and contractors provide 20+ years’ experience on systems, supporting architectures, and Joint and Service doctrine.
• Technical skills: JAD’s one-of-a-kind Technical Branch provides singular expertise and specialized tools and capabilities including networks, tactical communications and mobile range instrumentation, visualization and data capture software, and data transformations.
• Analytical capabilities: Analysts use proven JAD-developed tools and methodology to reveal issues for investigation and apply in-depth, objective, root-cause analysis to develop fact-based recommendations that support informed decision making.
JAD’s analysis and assessment activities are based on capability gaps, military needs, and interoperability deficiencies identified in Department of Defense DOD strategic-level guidance and other requirements forums. JAD partners with Combatant Commands (COCOMs); JS J7; JS J8; Director, Operational Test and Evaluation (DOT&E); Service operational and developmental test agencies; and other test organizations during Joint, Service, and coalition events, including:
• JS J6 Bold Quest coalition capability and assessment demonstrations
• U.S. Central Command (USCENTCOM)’s Counter Unmanned Aircraft System (C-UAS) Joint Urgent Operational Need (JUON) CC-0558
• Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) Squad X Core Technologies Experimentation
• DOT&E Mark XIIA Identification, Friend or Foe (IFF) Mode 5 assessment events
JAD is a subordinate division of the JS J6 Deputy Director for Cyber and Command, Control, Communications, and Computers [C4] Integration (DD C5I). (850) 882-6700 or DSN 872-6700