Hispanic Heritage Month enhances traditions
By Kevin Gaddie, Team Eglin Public Affairs
/ Published September 12, 2018
EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. --
Hispanic Heritage Month runs from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15. This year’s theme is “One Endless Voice to Enhance Our Tradition."
Eglin Air Force Base and Hurlburt Field are partnering to host the month’s events,
According to the Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute, Hispanics have had a profound and positive influence on our country through their strong commitment to family, faith, hard work and service. They have enhanced and shaped our national character with centuries-old traditions that reflect the multi-ethnic and multicultural customs of their community.
This year’s events include:
- Kickoff Festival featuring food tasting and music - Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2 – 4 p.m. Air Force Enlisted Village, Gates Bldg., 92 Sunset Lane, Shalimar. The guest speaker is Lt. Iraida Alvarez-Carrasquillo, a Tyndall AFB chaplain. Free. For more information, call 883-8561 or 884-9538.
- Salsa Lessons - Tuesday, Sept. 25 and Tuesday, Oct. 3, 6:30 p.m. on both days at the Eglin Fitness Annex. Free. For more information, call (850) 333-4724.
- “Coco” at Free Movie Night - Friday, Sept. 28, 5:30 p.m. Eglin Enlisted Hall and King Auditorium, Cody Ave., Hurlburt Field. Free refreshments provided. For more information, call 882-7940.
- Bilingual Story Time and arts and crafts - Wednesday, Oct. 3, 3:30 p.m. Eglin Youth Center and Child Development Centers II and III. Hispanic art, crafts and more featured. For more information, call 883-5412.
- Hispanic Heritage Month Gala - Friday, Oct. 12, 8 – 11:30 p.m. Soundside Club, 107 Kissam St., Hurlburt Field. Tickets are $12 per person. The attire is formal or semi-formal. Live music and heavy hors d’oeuvres provided. Free on-site child care by CPR-certified personnel begins 30 minutes before the gala and ends 30 minutes after. For tickets and more information, call 883-2330 or 883-8373.
The events are open to anyone with base access.