WRIGHT PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. --
May is National Employee Physical Fitness Month, a time for all us to focus on developing and / or maintaining a fit and healthy workforce. Air Force Materiel Command will be promoting its Be Active: Physical Fitness and Activity Initiative throughout the month. According to the Centers of Disease Control regular physical activity can help: control body weight, reduce risk of cardiovascular disease, improve brain function and mood, and strengthen bones and muscles. During the month of May, Civilian Health Promotion Services will be offering these 'Be Active Your Way' activities:
· Be Active: Physical Fitness and Activity Initiative
· Physical Activity Health Education Classes
· Cardiac Risk Profile Screenings
· Blood Pressure Screenings
· Force Support Squadron links to Fun Run & Walks and Fitness Center Classes
AFMC's Be Active initiative involves the AFMC Wellness Support Center website
( and the physical activity log. The goal of this initiative is to log minutes of physical activity for a minimum of 420 minutes (seven hours) during the month of May. Individuals who complete this task will receive "A Year of Health Hints" book. The Be Active: Physical Fitness Initiative is open to all active duty and appropriated-funded AFMC civilian employees.
How to Participate in the Be Active: Physical Fitness Initiative:
· Have an online account at www.AFMCWellness.com
· Civilians need to have a current Health Risk Assessment. Active duty members do not need to complete a HRA to participate.
· To be eligible for the completion award, participants need to log 420 minutes (seven hours) between May 1 and May 31, 2012
· Log your physical activity during the month of May in the physical activity log at www.AFMCWellness.com.
· May 1-5: Log 30 minutes a minimum of two days a week
· May 6-12: Log 30 minutes at least two days a week
· May 13-19: Log 30 minutes a minimum three days a week
· May 20-26: Log 30 minutes at least three days a week
· May 27-31: Log 30 minutes at least four days a week
often to learn of the opportunities to be physically active during the month of May, including your local installation's fitness center class schedule, as well as sponsored Fun Run & Walks.
Be sure to speak with your physician before beginning any exercise or physical activity program to make sure it is safe for you.